Chancellor's Doctoral Fellowship
December 5, 2022 - January 25, 2023 at 11:59 PM CST
- Recipients may be from any area of doctoral study in a program on the Lawrence or Edwards campus and the Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in the Biomedical Sciences at the KU Medical Center campus.
- Recipients of the Fellowship will be selected through a nomination/application process early in the spring semester prior to the fall start of the student’s first academic year.
- Students are qualified for nomination if they are applying to start their first year in a doctoral program. Students who have completed a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree at KU are eligible if they will be starting their doctoral program in fall 2023.
- Fellows may be either domestic or international students.
Students funded by the Self Graduate Fellowship, University Graduate Fellowship, or the Bernadette Gray-Little Graduate Fellowship are not eligible.
The Chancellor’s Doctoral Fellowship provides selected Fellows with a yearly $32,550 stipend for four years, in addition to tuition, fees, and a 75% subsidy of the student health insurance plan premium. Awards are disbursed as 12-month GRA appointments at 0.50 FTE. The Chancellor’s Doctoral Fellowship employs a cohort model, welcoming four new fellows each year.
Nomination Process & Documents
Maximum 5 nominations per department.
- To be considered for a Chancellor’s Doctoral Fellowship, a new applicant to KU must be nominated by a department as a candidate for the award. Departments will identify their most competitive student who exemplifies the Chancellor’s values and work with the student to compile a nomination packet.
- To nominate a student please select the nominating information through Slate and complete the nomination form. Nomination instructions will be provided to departments prior to the opening of the nomination cycle.
- The nomination for this award matches the nomination process for the Bernadette Gray-Little Graduate Fellowship. Individuals nominated will be reviewed for both the Bernadette Gray-Little Graduate Fellowship and the Chancellor’s Doctoral Fellowship.
The nomination must include the following:
- The candidate's graduate application
- A departmental letter of nomination that addresses:
- the candidate's academic excellence and research productivity (publications, creative works, awards, scholarships, and funding will be highly valued)
- how the candidate shows their vision for their field of study and how they plan to use a doctoral education from KU to launch themselves into a leadership role in their field
Nominees will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Documentation of academic excellence and research productivity
- Clarity of vision for their field and leadership potential
- Potential impact of research