Bernadette Gray-Little Doctoral Fellowship
Nomination Deadline: January 25th, 2023
- Recipients may be from any area of doctoral study in a program on the Lawrence or Edwards campus.
- Recipients of the Fellowship will be selected through a nomination/application process early in the spring semester prior to the fall start of the student’s first academic year.
- Students are qualified for nomination if they are applying to start their first year in a doctoral program. Students who have completed a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree at KU are eligible if they will be starting their doctoral program in fall 2023.
- Fellows may be either domestic or international students.
Students funded by the Self Graduate Fellowship, University Graduate Fellowship, or the Chancellor’s Doctoral Fellowship are not eligible.
Fellows are appointed as 50% (.50 FTE) Graduate Research Assistants (GRAs). They will receive a stipend of $25,000 and sponsorship of up to nine (9) hours of tuition, course fees, and technology fees each semester. In addition to the GRA stipend of $25,000, tuition support averages between $8,000 and $9,000 per fellow, bringing the average total fellowship package to $33,000. No summer appointment funds are available through this Fellowship fund.
Nomination/Application Process & Documents
Maximum 5 nominations per department.
- To be considered for a Chancellor’s Doctoral Fellowship, a new applicant to KU must be nominated by a department as a candidate for the award. Departments will identify their most competitive student who exemplifies the Chancellor’s values and work with the student to compile a nomination packet.
- To nominate a student please select the nominating information through Slate and complete the nomination form. Nomination instructions will be provided to departments prior to the opening of the nomination cycle.
- The nomination for this award matches the nomination process for the Chancellor's Doctoral Fellowship. Individuals nominated will be reviewed for both the Bernadette Gray-Little Graduate Fellowship and the Chancellor’s Doctoral Fellowship.
The nomination must include the following:
- The candidate's graduate application
- A departmental letter of nomination that addresses:
- the candidate's academic excellence and research productivity (publications, creative works, awards, scholarships, and funding will be highly valued)
- how the candidate shows their vision for their field of study and how they plan to use a doctoral education from KU to launch themselves into a leadership role in their field
- A letter briefly describing the department's recruitment activities including the tools and strategies employed in recruitment efforts, strategies employed to build a diverse applicant pool, and how top candidates are identified for nomination. Please see the application in Slate for more details regarding the content of this letter.
Nominees will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Documentation of academic excellence and research productivity
- Clarity of vision for their field and leadership potential
- Potential impact of research